World of Destiny

World of Destiny
Click on image to purchase kindle version for $0.99,,,World of Destiny is about Trevor Sansing and his daughter, Sarah, who have survived the demise of most of Earth’s population. When they venture from their East Texas home, they are rescued/abducted by aliens and brought to a new world. They learn en-route that Connie Sansing, who was visiting neighbors when all this happened, was also picked up and brought to the same world. But they have no clue where she was taken on this strange planet. They have to find her. They learn that this new world is already sparsely populated by abductees that have been brought here over the last eighty years. Connie could be anywhere, and they have to find her. But they will need a guide. Without much choice, they are thrown in with a group of kids who were all born on this world. They reluctantly agree to let the Sansings tag along. The adventure begins and the search is on.

World of Destiny

World of Destiny
Click on Image to purchase for $0.99,.. Reeling from the shock of unpleasant revelations and the dissolution of life as he knew it, Trevor and friends indulge in a quest of discovery on a newly discovered world. With their new friend, Mary, the whole Galaxy is theirs to explore. However, unfortunate events keep pulling them back to Earth and placing them in the forefront of uncontrollable turmoil in spite of their best efforts to just escape from it all.

World of Destiny

World of Destiny
Trevor Sansing and his crew, of mostly young adults aboard the living ship they call Mary, have returned to the world they’ve named “Destiny”. Humanity is on the brink of extinction with only the Israeli population and small pockets elsewhere that have managed to survive the onslaught of the Asunimi on Earth. On Destiny, man’s survival has always been tenuous at best. Unexpected events on Earth had unnerved them all. Now, Trevor and his friends, only want a little R&R and are looking forward to some down time. For Trevor’s friends, Destiny is home. More and more, Trevor realizes that for him and his daughter, Sarah, Destiny has become “home” as well. However, as soon as they arrive, Mary receives a telepathic message from one of her companion ships. The message is simple, but Trevor is sure it can’t be right. It states simply, “WE HAVE FOUND GOD”.

World of Destiny Part 4: Repercussions

World of Destiny Part 4: Repercussions
Sometimes, things come back to bite you on your backside. Trevor Sansing had a run-in with these red-eyed aliens once before. He thought he had seen the last of them. He was wrong. They have discovered a way to pass through the portals without suffering the psychological damage that happens to all non-telepathic beings who dare to enter there. They are obviously aware of Destiny’s location. And they are staging troops and material for an attack. Trevor knows they cannot be reasoned with. The question is what is there that the people of Destiny can do about it. Destiny is ill-prepared to fend off an invasion. Abandon Destiny and run for Earth? Earth isn’t much better off than Destiny. Someone needs to come up with a plan to meet this latest threat that has the potential of wiping out the small remnant of humanity barely surviving on Destiny. And Trevor fears they won’t stop there. Earth will be their next target.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dealing With Dad


Dealing With Dad
  My father is about to reach his eighty sixth birthday in a couple of weeks. Three years ago last Christmas, he had a stroke that left him pretty much paralyzed on his left side. Since I retired only a few months later, I became his main caregiver. That means that most of the time I’m staying with my father at his house to take care of him and prevent him from having to go into a nursing home. I do get to go home, most of the time, to spend time with my wife on the weekends. But let me tell you a little about my father. He was raised in Breaux Bridge, La. and was the only boy with six sisters. To say he was spoiled rotten would probably be an understatement. His sister and my grandmother admitted as much to me on several occasions. He moved to Pt. Arthur, TX and, after working for a while for one of my uncles on my mother’s side of the family, joined the police department. He worked his way up through the ranks there. I do have a few vague memories of the times when he was a patrolman, but most of my earliest memories of those days revolve around the time when he was a desk Sargent. I would sometimes go with him to work in those days and hang around watching the nightly dramas unfold in the busy police station. I guess that’s why I never liked the show “Cops” on TV. Saw enough of the real thing when I was young. Anyway, he moved up the ladder quickly until he became a Lt. Detective. Finally he had reached the point to where he was next in line to become Chief of Police. But when the old Chief retired, they picked a man in the department who had less seniority than my father. Their reason was that he had more formal education than dad did. So he became the next Chief of Police instead of my father. Dad decided that he couldn’t stay there any longer and was offered a position with the County District Attorney’s office as the chief investigator. He jumped on that offer. He remained in that position until he was forced out of it at age 60. He’s been retired ever since then. In his position of command, dad has acquired the habit of giving orders and expecting them to be obeyed without question. I don’t think in his entire life he has ever had to ask anyone for anything politely and say please. Another characteristic that seems innate is his extreme impatience. Don’t tell him you will be here at 1:00 o’clock and not show up exactly at 1:00 o’clock or a little before. He will be on the phone calling a minute after one wanting to know where you’re at.  And it’s really worse than that about most things. He didn’t do well in the hospital where it is always hurry up and wait or I’ll be right back and then never show up again. He would not do well in a nursing home, and I feel for the nurses there if he ever has to go to one. On top of all this he has some lifelong prejudices that I find very hard to live with. I am nothing like my father. In fact I’m the exact opposite than him on most things, and I hate being given orders ever since my four year stent in the U.S. Army. To say that we butted horns in those first couple of years since his stroke would again be a huge understatement. I used to go home on the weekends stressed out to the max. Not only did dad’s ways stress me out, but I was dealing with a good deal of resentment for having to spend my retirement years away from what I had always planned on for this time in my life. My poor wife had to deal with me at least for the first day of every weekend just trying to come to terms with my pent up anger and resentment. In her wisdom (which I greatly value and appreciate) she pointed out that dad didn’t have a problem that needed fixing – I did. She insisted that my father was 85 years old and not likely to ever change at this stage in his life. Me expecting him to was ridiculous. So the problem was not getting him to change, but getting me to. I admit that I was a little embarrassed by the simplicity of the solution to my problems that should have been obvious to me. It has not always been simple to put into practice, however. I have to often take deep breaths and count to ten. But now I’m okay with not being asked to do things. I simply do what he demands and let it go. His impatience I still find a little annoying, but I’m working on that too. And as far as his prejudices, I just turn a deaf ear to it now and let it go understanding that he will never change. This last year has been much more harmonious. And as far as the resentment for being here instead of where I’d rather be? Well let’s just say that I’ve decided that the time spent getting to really know my father (and myself) is worth it. So the point in all this is that when you face problems or difficult people in your life, don’t automatically expect them to change to suit you. Sometimes that is just too much to ask. The one thing you can always change in any equation is you. And if you can’t (or won't) do that, then it is just better to walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment