World of Destiny

World of Destiny
Click on image to purchase kindle version for $0.99,,,World of Destiny is about Trevor Sansing and his daughter, Sarah, who have survived the demise of most of Earth’s population. When they venture from their East Texas home, they are rescued/abducted by aliens and brought to a new world. They learn en-route that Connie Sansing, who was visiting neighbors when all this happened, was also picked up and brought to the same world. But they have no clue where she was taken on this strange planet. They have to find her. They learn that this new world is already sparsely populated by abductees that have been brought here over the last eighty years. Connie could be anywhere, and they have to find her. But they will need a guide. Without much choice, they are thrown in with a group of kids who were all born on this world. They reluctantly agree to let the Sansings tag along. The adventure begins and the search is on.

World of Destiny

World of Destiny
Click on Image to purchase for $0.99,.. Reeling from the shock of unpleasant revelations and the dissolution of life as he knew it, Trevor and friends indulge in a quest of discovery on a newly discovered world. With their new friend, Mary, the whole Galaxy is theirs to explore. However, unfortunate events keep pulling them back to Earth and placing them in the forefront of uncontrollable turmoil in spite of their best efforts to just escape from it all.

World of Destiny

World of Destiny
Trevor Sansing and his crew, of mostly young adults aboard the living ship they call Mary, have returned to the world they’ve named “Destiny”. Humanity is on the brink of extinction with only the Israeli population and small pockets elsewhere that have managed to survive the onslaught of the Asunimi on Earth. On Destiny, man’s survival has always been tenuous at best. Unexpected events on Earth had unnerved them all. Now, Trevor and his friends, only want a little R&R and are looking forward to some down time. For Trevor’s friends, Destiny is home. More and more, Trevor realizes that for him and his daughter, Sarah, Destiny has become “home” as well. However, as soon as they arrive, Mary receives a telepathic message from one of her companion ships. The message is simple, but Trevor is sure it can’t be right. It states simply, “WE HAVE FOUND GOD”.

World of Destiny Part 4: Repercussions

World of Destiny Part 4: Repercussions
Sometimes, things come back to bite you on your backside. Trevor Sansing had a run-in with these red-eyed aliens once before. He thought he had seen the last of them. He was wrong. They have discovered a way to pass through the portals without suffering the psychological damage that happens to all non-telepathic beings who dare to enter there. They are obviously aware of Destiny’s location. And they are staging troops and material for an attack. Trevor knows they cannot be reasoned with. The question is what is there that the people of Destiny can do about it. Destiny is ill-prepared to fend off an invasion. Abandon Destiny and run for Earth? Earth isn’t much better off than Destiny. Someone needs to come up with a plan to meet this latest threat that has the potential of wiping out the small remnant of humanity barely surviving on Destiny. And Trevor fears they won’t stop there. Earth will be their next target.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Reach Out and Touch Someone


Reach Out And Touch Someone
    I know I’m not alone in this, at least I don’t think so. But sometimes I feel a little isolated from everything and everyone. Lonely. I sit here all day on my computer and I check my facebook page (122 friends and counting), go to Twitter (328 followers), check my email, go to author pages, watch videos, and even answer my cell phone when it shows a caller ID I recognize (which don’t happen often – trust me). In spite of all that, I still often have this queasy uneasiness that, if I have to put a finger on it and give it a name, that name would have to be loneliness. I stay with my elderly father who sleeps a good part of the day and doesn’t talk much when he’s awake. So I don’t get real face to face contact with anyone most of the time. So unless, when I go to the grocery store, someone accidentally rams their shopping cart into mine, I have very little interaction with my fellow human beings on a face to face basis. On the weekends, when I actually do get to go home to my wife who lives fifty miles away, I’m like a sponge and enjoy every minute I get to be in the same room with her.
  So why am I bringing this up here and now? It just strikes a disharmonious chord in me when I look around at all the ways we have to reach out and touch someone these days like smart phones, ipads, the internet, and twitter to name a few. And I just can’t help but wonder if all that is bringing us closer to understanding one another or putting up a barrier every bit as daunting as Captain Kirk’s deflector shields at full power. I can easily imagine a time when we will no longer interact with one another face to face. Our machines will do all that for us. Today at least I still have my wife, my kids, my family. But if you were to take all that away so that you would not ever feel someone’s arms around you, never press your lips against another’s, never hold someone’s hand while you walked together down the street, would texting them or seeing their face on your computer screen be enough? Would we still even be able to call ourselves human if we came to that point? From my own personal experience, I don’t think so.
  I know, I can hear some of you laughing and saying there’s no way that would ever happen. No way it will come to that point. Really? If you’ve been alive long enough, you don’t even have to use your imagination. When I was a kid, we never locked our doors. We knew all our neighbors. Even in grade school, if I liked a girl, I got on my bicycle and rode to her house to talk to her face to face (who am I kidding – I was so shy - I just rode in front of her house hoping she would come out so I could wave to her and then speed away as fast as I could pedal.) People were friendly and courteous to one another, even strangers. Now the only way I’m talking to a stranger is on the internet with miles and miles between us. Most of us don’t know our neighbors or at least not many of them and wouldn’t dare leave our doors unlocked at night. That gets worse the bigger the city. And the cities just keep getting bigger and bigger. When there are no menial tasks left that aren’t being done by robots, and you can do all your own work from home as many people are already doing, who are you going to reach out to and hold when you start feeling that lonesome feeling? Who will know you well enough to even care?  No, the future looks lonelier and lonelier to me all the time. Maybe it’s not too late to start thinking about where we really want to go with all our technological advances. And maybe the real question is, for convenience sake, are we about to give up our very souls, or at least the very essence of what it is to be human? You might want to think about that a little before you run out and buy the next big thing that puts itself between you and a real human being. For now anyway, do yourself a favor and put that gadget in your hands down and reach out and actually touch someone.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your feelings, Robert, and see it getting worse every day. We have become a gadget friendly society and sometimes have trouble holding a full conversation without feeling we have to answer that ding on our phone the minute it comes through. We make it a habit here to lock them away for awhile each night and people have gotten used to not being able to reach us immediately.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and may the loneliness ease up some for you. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robbie. Yeah, what I find a little disconcerting is that when I do go out somewhere with my wife, I see just about everybody sitting there talking on their cell phones or texting somebody and totally neglecting the person sitting right across from them. My wife and I are not slaves ot our cell phones...heck hardly anyone ever calls us anyway...but we often turn them off or leave them in the house while we're outside enjoying being outdoors.
    And our cell phones by no stretch of the word can be described as smart.
    Thanks for leaving comment. Nice to know I'm not always talking to myself.

    ReplyDelete